The couple’s move back to the UK has reopened debates over what security protection they will receive. Ravec had previously said that, because Prince Harry would be an infrequent visitor, his security needs would be judged case by case. With the Sussexes planning to base themselves in Britain for the foreseeable future, that assessment may now be revisited.
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham described the couple’s security arrangements as a “private matter,” saying the decision is for Harry and Meghan and offering them well wishes. The Home Office stressed that the UK’s protective security system is “rigorous and proportionate” and that it does not publish detailed information about arrangements, because doing so could undermine their effectiveness and put people at risk.
Security has been a long-running source of tension. Last year Prince Harry lost a legal challenge over the level of protection to which he and his family are entitled when visiting the UK. After stepping back from royal duties in early 2020, the Sussexes settled in California and have employed private security there. They declined to tell the BBC whether that private team will relocate with them.
If Ravec’s reassessment treats the couple as permanent UK residents, they could become eligible for taxpayer-funded protection at a level closer to what Harry previously received. But there is no indication they intend to return as full-time working royals, and non-working members of the royal family typically receive more limited security. A downgrade from Harry’s earlier protection could become another source of friction.
A source close to the couple told reporters the timing of the move reflected practical and personal factors, saying the “stars had aligned” to make it work for their family. The source described them as an international couple who love to travel but who will be based in the UK for the next period.
The decision was a surprise to much of the media and, the couple say, to King Charles, who was informed on Sunday and is reportedly looking forward to seeing his son and grandchildren more often. The move follows a July visit when Harry, Meghan and their children spent time with the King at Highgrove — their first joint trip to the UK since 2022 and the King’s first time seeing his grandchildren in person in over four years.
Observers note several factors that may have influenced the return: the King’s recent health struggles, Harry’s stated desire to spend more time with his father, and the family atmosphere of Highgrove. Royal author Valentine Low has suggested a key motive is Harry’s wish to rebuild family ties, particularly with his father.
The couple plan to retain their California home, and Meghan’s media work and her online food business, As Ever, can be run from the UK. Practical considerations also point to more UK time: the Invictus Games in Birmingham next year, which will require Harry’s involvement, and the 30th anniversary of Princess Diana’s death, which will prompt commemorations and events. Their recent stay at Althorp, the Spencer family home, underlines the pull of Diana’s side of the family as another reason for relocating closer to the UK.
